You may have heard... The secret is out.
PANCAKES DO NOT NEED BUTTER OR MILK TO BE TASTY AND DELICIOUS!
Follow this recipe to make amazing pancakes.
- 1 cup of quinoa flour
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp of chia seeds
- 3 tbsp of coconut shreds
- Stevia powder to taste
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups of water (+/-)
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Using a Teflon non-stick pan, place on low to medium heat.
- In large bowl, sift together dry ingredients till blended evenly.
- Gradually add wet ingredients. Fold sides of bowl into centre, then stir until completely blended.
- If mixture is too thick, gradually add more water till consistency is goopy-like. Stir again.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, allowing the chia seeds to expand and batter to thicken.
- Using a large spoon or ladle, add mixture in palm size portions to pan, cooking till edges are firm and spatula can separate pancake from the pan.
- Allow pancake to firm up on other side.
- Depending on the flour used, the pancake may not turn golden brown, so it's likely done cooking when it's slightly firm (no need to overcook!).
Now the fun part.....
Here are some of our favorite suggestions, but really, the sky's the limit. Make your own fabulous creation. Let us know what your fave toppings are!
- Fresh-cut banana, strawberries, apple, mango, peach, etc.
- Low-sugar jam
- Maple syrup
- All natural peanut butter
- Coconut butter
- Vegan chocolate spread
- Ground cashews, almonds, cacao nibs
Variations and Substitutions
- Add cacao powder or cacao nibs to dry mixture for more chocolate taste
- Substitute flour to kamut, spelt, whole wheat, banana flour, rye, etc.
- Add coconut water or soy or almond milk instead of water
- Replace chia with flax seeds/ground flax